Friday, November 26, 2010

Flying Squirrels

You will notice in the hind leg of a dog or a horse, that, just where the thigh meets the side, there is a little piece of loose skin, which is seen better when the leg is stretched out behind; and there is a piece like it, except that it is less in size, under the forelegs of the animal.

In the flying squirrel this piece of skin projects all along its sides, between the fore and hind legs, so that, when the squirrel stretches out his legs, he is of a flat, oblong shape, with his feet sticking out at the corners.

This peculiarity enables him to make the most astonishing leaps, provided he has a high place to leap from; for, instead of falling after the force of his spring is spent, he "scales" down, as a flat piece of tin does when thrown edgewise.   Selections from the Youth's Companion







3 comments:

Chari said...

Hey! I want this to be my blog, too!!!

Faith said...

I love it! When I was a little girl and couldn't sleep my dad used to let me come downstairs and sit with him. My favorite book to look through while he read the encyclopedias (I kid you not!) was a book that was a collection of Currier and Ives prints.

The blog is a wonderful idea!

Willa said...

Your dad sounds like Atticus Finch, Faith...